Friday, March 13, 2009

After leaving class on Wednesday night I decided to try something very different with my Senior math class that really struggles. We used the computer lab and I gave them the assignment to goggle arithmetic sequences and series, then copy and paste a two page lesson that they understood and could present to the class. They also had to have a real application, a link to their web site and and a problem to give to the class with an answer key. Of course this bright idea did not go off without a hitch. Limiting the lesson to two pages was the best thing I did I saw a lot of frustration because now they could not just copy!
We will see on Monday when some start to teach if a few are getting the idea. This will take time but the goal is to develop a small math book with their lessons and applications. The real task for me became guiding them to trim to just the condensed organized info they needed to have it make sense.
Most of the lessons this year have developed this way but I was doing all the work and sharing it with the students. Hopefully this will have them more involved and have more meaning. I think this fits with the Di Vinci article to some extent but can see that the students have access to learn through the goggle sites and info but I am positive they would not grasp the knowledge I hope they will acquire without guidance (the teaching part)
Learning is essential and everyone can and should learn, but I am not sure we can all teach or facilitate that learning. There is a difference between learning and helping someone become educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment